Updating primary address.

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Sat Mar 2 01:32:15 UTC 2002

In article <a5ovou$5jo at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Charles Bodley <bodley at tflogic.com> wrote:
>Can nsupdate update the primary IP for a zone?
>the domain is set up on the server 216.68.75.100 although that is not an
>authoritative host for it.

What do you mean by "set up on the server" if the server isn't
authoritative for the domain?  Do you mean the domain isn't delegated to
the server?  Delegation is not a prerequisite to being authoritative.

>this same syntax worked for adding a cname ssh.bodley.info, but it will not
>modify the primary listing.
>
>nsupdate -y bodley:thispassworksfortony
>> server 127.0.0.1
>> zone bodley.info
>> update delete bodley.info A
>> update add bodley.info 1800 A 24.29.6.102

That looks like it should work.  There's nothing special about records
associated with the zone name.

>> quit
>[root at ns named]# nslookup bodley.info
>Note:  nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
>Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead.  Run nslookup with
>the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
>Server:         216.68.75.100
>Address:        216.68.75.100#53
>
>Name:   bodley.info
>Address: 24.29.6.101

The server you sent the update to was 127.0.0.1 (localhost), but the server
you're querying is 216.68.75.100.  Are they the same machine?

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA