How to handle rfc 1918 addresses locally

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Sat Mar 2 01:37:04 UTC 2002

In article <a5p4so$684 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Karyn Williams  <karyn at calarts.edu> wrote:

>I just found a message from Joseph Yao 1999 in the archives and used it.
>Thanks Joseph. It worked but I have one more question. I am doing this for
>172.16/12 and I would really appreciate it if someone would tell me how to
>do this with one zone file. I am assuming it can be done with one zone
>file. The example in Joseph's message was for 10/8.

It's not really possible to do a /12 in a single zone file, because the
reverse DNS hierarchy is designed to map from the octet boundaries in IP
addresses.  So you'll have to have a separate zone file for each /16.

Other than that, the ideas in the 10/8 example should translate easily.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA