Views and two servers

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Sat Mar 2 10:46:16 UTC 2002

Hawkins, Michael <MHawkins at tullib.com> wrote:

> I once asked this question and foolishly did not keep the answer. Sorry
> people.

> I have two bind servers. I want them to be primary and secondary for our
> domains in a split DNS configuration so that using views any host on our
> internal network gets answers from db.domain.internal and anyone on the
> internet gets answers from db.domain.external.

Using views and beeing master/slave in the manner you describe
is difficult.

Views in itself is a wonderful idea, but it's not "the general solution"
to apply to every nameserver.

I recently reconfigured my own nameserver to get rid of
views and instead used classical acl to enable recusion
for the ones needing it.

The worst case is using a servers with views, keeping a slave zone
on both outside and inside view.

Frankly i don't think it's worth the effort.

> I once asked this question and the answer came back that I should configure
> two IP's one each machine and include one IP in the access-list for internal
> and the second IP would hit the other however...

> It does not matter how I configure the secondary it will always get the same
> DB from my primary because it always uses the same source IP to talk to the
> primary. The result is that both the internal and external DB's always end
> up the same.

> How can I configure my secondary to use one IP address for internal and one
> IP address for external domains when talking to the primary?

> My own solution, which I am trying as I write this email, is to...

> configure a totally separate subnet (outside of 172.24.1.0/24) and set the
> secondary named.conf to use the master IP that is on the separate subnet
> thereby making the secondary use the source IP of its own that was also on
> the separate subnet. This then allows the primary to see the secondary as a
> different IP so that the secondary gets replied to with the different
> database.

> Am I right? Is this the only way? Does it work? Does anyone understand what
> I'm saying?

Yes, it took me a few weeks to understand why i had the same problems as you.

In the end i removed the views and ( at least for now) think i have
a better and more manageble nameserver solution for my current setup.

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)