problem testing with nslookup

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 4 09:09:20 UTC 2002

Stefan Demarmels wrote:

> Hi NG!
> I'm configuring my first dns-server. I'm using devian-linux potato and
> bind9.2.
> My problem:
> If I do an nslookup from my dns-server to localhost I get:

Learn to use "dig" rather than nslookup.

> Server:        127.0.0.1
> Address:     127.0.0.1#53
>
> Name:        localhost.lai5p.ch
> Address     172.0.0.1

This looks okay.

> If I do an nslookup from my dns-server to bind (hostname)    I get:
>
> Server:        127.0.0.1
> Address:     127.0.0.1#53
>
> Name:        bind.lai5p.ch
> Address:    172.16.0.4
>
> Acording to my book (DNS and Bind --> O'Reilly) I should get for Server the
> name om my machine back and for Address the Address of eth0 --> 172.16.0.4

We can't tell if this is right or not since you don't give us
the content of the lai5p.ch zone, but it looks a reasonable
answer, as your log file shows 172.16.0.4 as a local interface.

> If I do an nslookup from a different linux-machine on the net, nslookup
> 172.16.0.4, I get:
>
> Server:        miami
> Address:    0.0.0.0
>
> *** miami can't find 172.16.0.4: No response from server ***

Incorrect resolv.conf?

> ....named: none:0: open: /etc/rndc.key: file not found
> ....named: couldn't add command channel 127.0.0.1#953: file not found

Instructions on creating this file are in the Administrator
Reference Manual, included with BIND 9, or on the www.isc.org
site.