New WAN, Private TLD

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Mar 4 23:35:58 UTC 2002

Each company would have to run their own DNS server or use someone else's
DNS server that has knowledge of both Internet names and names in the private
TLD. At the very least, these "special" DNS servers would need to have a
"stub" definition for the TLD, and then somebody would have to host the
TLD zone itself and all of the company.TLD zones delegated beneath it. Add
slaves if you care about redundancy.

Having dealt with a "private internet" setup before (the ANX), I'll warn you
that your biggest challenge probably isn't DNS; it's email. Very few people
want to change their email addresses, so you end up making your mail servers
bend over backwards rewriting foo.com addresses into foo.TLD addresses. Blech.

- Kevin