How to handle rfc 1918 addresses locally

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Mar 5 16:21:32 UTC 2002

In article <a61ms1$cah at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
those who know me have no need of my name  <not-a-real-address at usa.net> wrote:

><a5pau6$788 at pub3.rc.vix.com> divulged:
>
>>It's not really possible to do a /12 in a single zone file, because the
>>reverse DNS hierarchy is designed to map from the octet boundaries in IP
>>addresses.  So you'll have to have a separate zone file for each /16.
>
>sure it is, you just have to be willing to see lots of warnings about the
>out-of-zone data being ignored.  (i'd suggest separate files though.)

It's not the warnings that's the problem, it's the fact that the
out-of-zone records are ignored that's the problem.  If the goal is to have
reverse DNS entries in multiple /24 blocks within the /12, you need to have
separate zones for each.

Or were you suggesting that you have separate zones, but point them all to
the same zone file, which would contain fully-qualified reverse entries or
$ORIGIN statements to switch to each /24's reverse domain?  What would be
the point of that?  It's essentially the same as having multiple files; the
only records that can be shared among them are the SOA and NS records.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA