Your opinions please

Mark Damrose mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us
Thu Mar 7 19:32:57 UTC 2002

"Chris" <chris.hurt at monsanto.com> wrote in message
news:a68e33$sal at pub3.rc.vix.com...

> What are the implications with setting TTL and refresh to the same
> value?

TTL is how long a caching resolver can hold a record before requesting it
again.  Set it based on how often this record changes, and what the
implications of old data are.

Refresh is how often a slave server checks to see if the master server has
been updated.  Set it based on how much of a problem it is for the master
and slave to give out different information.  BIND 8 and 9 both support
NOTIFY, so the master would tell the slave immediately that something has
changed.  This value is only a backup in case the NOTIFY gets lost.

Good thing/ Bad thing/ why / why not?  I've searched the