problem with reverse lookup of private IP

Nathan Jones nathanj at optimo.com.au
Fri Mar 8 03:58:08 UTC 2002

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 04:25:07PM -0500, Kevin Darcy wrote:
>Yes, "strange" things happen when you don't have the appropriate RFC 1918
>reverse zones set up in your DNS infrastructure. The "strange" thing is
>that your nameserver(s) try to resolve those addresses from the
>"blackhole" servers, which are perpetually overloaded.

I have further question on this. In your opinion, is it okay for a
customer to expect her ISP's nameservers to respond to queries about
private IP addresses?

That is, is there any defined behaviour for an ISP to follow if they
have no functional need to configure DNS zones for private IP space?

The customer in question does not wish to use an internal nameserver,
but does expect the ISP nameservers to respond with at least a
NXDOMAIN. Currently they time out instead (due to a routing issue I'm
trying to get sorted out where the blackhole servers are unreachable).

--
nathanj