Can't start named, please help

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Mar 12 14:13:50 UTC 2002

    Howard> I'm using the same /etc/named.conf that works fine in
    Howard> version 8.

That doesn't necessarily mean the file is OK for BIND9. There are
some syntax differences. named-checkconf can catch these.

    Howard> I've run /usr/local/sbin/named-checkconf with
    Howard> no problems.  The "no source of entropy" message is the
    Howard> last message I get in named.run, that's why I thought it
    Howard> was a problem. What other logs can I look at?

Er.... the logs the name server produces when it starts? Why don't you
show us what the name server logs from the point is starts running to
the point where it dies? You might well be overlooking something that
another pair of eyes would spot immediately. An exact copy of your
named.conf file might help too.

You'll get on a lot better if you provide full disclosure rather than
report a summary of your perception of the problem. Let the logs and
config files speak for themselves.