Resolving problems

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 12 17:36:43 UTC 2002

Darren Coleman wrote:

> Can you confirm that
> you were unable to retrieve the MX information etc as well?

It is just the "any" query that fails. I think most MTA's issue
"any" queries as it bypasses the unwashed masses who don't have
MX records.

dig for mx works fine against my BIND 9.2 server, although I
didn't struggle to reproduce your problem.

> Ultimately I need to figure out whether or not this is a configuration
> problem at our end (which would seem odd given that this is the first
> instance I've heard of where our servers can't resolve a legitimate Internet
> facing domain) or whether this is a problem at "anchorvans.co.uk" end.
> Either way, it doesn't explain why I can't get the MX (etc) info from the
> domain, and ns.watson.ibm.com (for example) can...

I think they are giving you bad data.

It sounds like your BIND 8 cache is getting corrupted by the bad
data. That would be a BIND bug (and possibly an important one).