Update: Can't compile BIND 8.3.1 under Solaris 8

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Mar 13 19:22:44 UTC 2002

Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

> Why are folks here so anti-Sun? I've compiled practically every version of
> BIND in existence on a Sun (SPARC) using both the SparcWorks compiler and gcc,
> and rarely had any problems. The original poster's problem, as pointed out by
> another poster, is that he is mixing the Sun "as" with gcc, which doesn't work
> any better than, say, mixing gcc with Microsoft's dev tools on an Intel-based
> box. Which is to say, mixing and matching pieces of different development
> environments is a bad idea, regardless of platform. Stop blaming Sun for this.

I'm blaming SUN for NOT distributing a decent C-compiler as part of the OS.
This ( suppying a C-compiler ) was a standard feature up until early -90 when
some marketing droids thougt sun could make more money by making it
a separate and expensive extra.

The net effect is that sun loses money when the relative merits of sparc  (where
gcc does not optimize well ) vs intel ( where gcc has done an excellent job) . Thus
comparing the platforms gives intel an significant edge.

HP and ibm made the same (wrong) conclusions about the profitability of compiler sales.

The winner is R. Stallman, and Thorvalds. The loser is customers trying to run
sparc ( or hppa or power)

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)