name resolution problem with 2 of my 3 DNS servers

ListServ rbarnes-list at blazenet.net
Wed Mar 13 19:39:09 UTC 2002

Here's an interesting situation:

I'm running 3 identical DNS servers - Sun Ultra5 with Solaris 7.  The
version of bind is:

ndc> status
named 8.2.3-REL Tue Jan 30 15:18:31 EST

on all of the boxes.  Here's my problem:

from 2 of my boxes, I can't resolve www.alloyventures.com  The third boxes
seems to work every time, while the other 2 boxes don't seem to ever work.

Here are some results of my nslookup from a box that does not work:
Default Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

> set debug
> www.alloyventures.com
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

;; res_nmkquery(QUERY, www.alloyventures.com, IN, A)
timeout
timeout
;; res_nmkquery(QUERY, www.alloyventures.com.blazenet.net, IN, A)
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 2160, rcode = NXDOMAIN
        header flags:  response, auth. answer, want recursion, recursion
avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 1,  additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
        www.alloyventures.com.blazenet.net, type = A, class = IN
    AUTHORITY RECORDS:
    ->  blazenet.net
        ttl = 14400 (4H)
        origin = polaris.blazenet.net
        mail addr = postmaster.blazenet.net
        serial = 381
        refresh = 10800 (3H)
        retry   = 3600 (1H)
        expire  = 604800 (1W)
        minimum ttl = 14400 (4H)

------------
*** localhost can't find www.alloyventures.com: Non-existent host/domain

Here are results from my server that does work:
> set nodebug
> server thuban
Default Server:  thuban.blazenet.net
Address:  24.104.94.230

> set debug
> www.alloyventures.com
Server:  thuban.blazenet.net
Address:  24.104.94.230

;; res_nmkquery(QUERY, www.alloyventures.com, IN, A)
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 2164, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 1,  authority records = 1,  additional = 1

    QUESTIONS:
        www.alloyventures.com, type = A, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    ->  www.alloyventures.com
        internet address = 205.178.105.61
        ttl = 1855 (30m55s)
    AUTHORITY RECORDS:
    ->  alloyventures.com
        nameserver = ns1.alloyventures.com
        ttl = 1855 (30m55s)
    ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
    ->  ns1.alloyventures.com
        internet address = 205.178.105.61
        ttl = 1855 (30m55s)

------------
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.alloyventures.com
Address:  205.178.105.61

Obviously the server that does not work timeout while trying to do the
lookup, but why does it time out?  and only on this domain -- at least that
I know of.

I work at an ISP, and these are our servers, so if this were a wide spread
problem (lot's of domains not working), I think I would have heard more
about this.  The only differences that I can think of is that the 2 servers
who do not work, exist on a physically different network than the server
that does work -- the server that works is even located in a different city.
However, I'm told by my network guy that the same ports are open to all 3
servers, so I don't know exactly what the problem could be.

If you have any suggestions, or want to try for yourself, my DNS servers
are:

24.104.0.35 - polaris.blazenet.net
24.104.0.34 - sirius.blazenet.net
24.104.94.230 - thuban.blazenet.net