serial question

Futureweb St. Johann email at futureweb.at
Thu Mar 14 03:01:27 UTC 2002

hi,

i read the thread 2 days back, but i am unsure about a
serial thing:

you wrote to set the serial to 2147483647
and then you can reset it. why is that? is this the highest the
serial could get?

we have about a same problem, I want to transfer a lot of zones
and a script will rewrite the files. no problem at that, and I could
also set the serial to any higher nr. than before.

but the new software managing the zones only uses the unix-time-stamp
which is in our case always lower than the current serial.

does it have to be higher or only different to the nr. before,
or how long would the update take if the serial is lower.

so the best solution would be to set the serial to the nr. above
and if the software changes the serial to whatever nr. (unix time stamp),
it doesn’t matter?

thanks
patrick neuner

--