Weird question.

Harold Pritchett harold at uga.edu
Thu Mar 14 20:22:16 UTC 2002

Jobe Bittman wrote:

> I can't query my own server for NS RRset because it believes it has
> authority for domains that customers have moved and never told us they
> moved. I cannot trust my server so I would have to query someone else's
> name server. Also, the NS records could be wrong. For example, you slave a
> bunch of domains before a transfer then change them to masters in
> named.conf afterwards and forget to change the NS records when you update
> the zone. Not that I ever did that before... You are correct there is no
> reason to overload the whois servers. But how do I verify that the NS
> record is correct? Is there a way to query the root servers to validate the
> NS record? How?

Assuming your list are all in the top level domains served by the GTLD
servers you can do

	dig @a.gtld-servers.net in ns domain.com

vary this across the full set of GTLD servers.  you can get that set
with the command

	dig @a.root-servers.net in ns com

or just take my word for it when I say the current list goes from
a to m.

Harold
--
Harold Pritchett
The University of Georgia              Enterprise IT Services

   Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.