Resolving problems

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 15 12:36:37 UTC 2002

Re: Problems e-mailing anchorvans.co.uk

Nate Campi wrote:

> It doesn't look like corrupted cache, but BIND tossing the oversized
> response entirely:

I was guessing as he said it worked first time, then failed.

>  $ dig  @map1.dns.gxn.net anchorvans.co.uk any
>
>  ; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @map1.dns.gxn.net anchorvans.co.uk any

The problem I saw with "dig" showing a packet dump is fixed in
9.2.1rc1.

Now it spits an error saying the truncated packet looks suspect,
and succeeds in retrieving the packet using TCP. This is
consistent with the changelog for BIND 9.2.1rc1.

Didn't Dan comment on the format of the truncation not being
well defined in the standards.

> It would appear that an MTA doing ANY queries to get the MX info for
> anchorvans.co.uk would be out of luck. Since this is standard for MTAs,
> I'd say anchorvans.co.uk is missing out on a lot of mail.

Hmm, well it can't be helping the reliability of their e-mail,
especially given the number of people who mistakenly block TCP
on port 53.