* in zone file

Doug Barton DougB at DougBarton.net
Sun Mar 17 00:39:23 UTC 2002

On Sat, 16 Mar 2002, Sierp wrote:

> Hello
>
> I ve got little problem..
> My zone file is
>
> $TTL 86400
> domena.pl.  IN  SOA  dns.domena2.pl. sierp.admin.pl. (
>                                         2002031601      ; serial
>                                         3H              ; refresh
>                                         15M             ; retry
>                                         1W              ; expiry
>                                         1D )            ; minimum
>                 NS      dns.domena2.pl.
>                 NS      dns.domena3.pl.
>                 MX      10 dns.domena.pl.
>
> @               A       ip.number
>
> pop3            A       ip.number
> smtp            A       ip.number
> localhost       A       127.0.0.1
> www             A       ip.number
>
> *               A        ip.number
>
> The bind is 8.2.5 version. The problem is, that when I ping this host
> it works fine. When I write in IE www.ddd.domena.pl it works too,

	This is working due to some trick of your local resolver.
*.domena.pl won't resolve www.ddd.domena.pl, wildcards don't work like
that.

> but when I'm using proxy server (from my ISP) it doesn't work.
> The messege is that IE couldn't fine IP address of the host
> www.ddd.domena.pl
> Is there anything that I could do about it?

Make an A record for that host, or *.ddd.domena.pl. Also, your domain is
delegated to:

domena.pl.              1D IN NS        ns1.popnet.pl.
domena.pl.              1D IN NS        dns.aspa.pl.

But the second server has no A record. That's going to make your life very
difficult.

Good luck,

Doug
--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?