classless in-addr.arpa

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Mar 18 21:48:56 UTC 2002

In article <a75muf$lf8 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Guido Fortunati  <zuez at disillusion.org> wrote:

>Hello,
>I am trying to set up a classless in-addr.arpa delegation.
>We were told to set up a 0/27.61.74.216.in-addr.arpa zone
>and here is what i added to named.conf:
>
>zone "0/27.61.74.216.in-addr.arpa" {
>        type master;
>        file "61.74.216.in-addr.arpa";
>

>and this is what the zone file looks like:
>
>$TTL    1800
>@               IN SOA  mydns1..      mydns2.(
>                        2002031800 ; serial
>                        3600 ; refresh
>                        900 ; retry
>                        1209600 ; expire
>                        43200 ; default_ttl
>                        )
>               IN      NS       mydns.
>               IN      NS       mydns2.
>1       IN      PTR     2600.irv-ca.us.whatever.
>2      IN      PTR     wor2d.
>3      IN      PTR     word.
>4      IN      PTR     word.
>5      IN      PTR     word.
>

>what is wrong with this?.. i see our provider trying to do AXFRs, i guess
>they pull down the information from our ns and then spread it around the
>world, but i dont think this zone is right, i think i need some $ORIGIN?
>sorry for the ignorant question, any help will be strongly appreciated.

There should be a space before the '(' on the SOA line, and there shouldn't
be two '.' characters in 'mydns1..'.  Other than that, it looks
syntactically correct, although most of the hostnames are obviously bogus.
You don't need $ORIGIN, it defaults to the name of the zone from the
named.conf file.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA