Free, secure alternative to bind?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Mar 20 10:42:46 UTC 2002

    Thomas>   Are you serious when you write that Nominum does _not_
    Thomas> use BIND for GNS ?

He is.

    Thomas> By the way, is the GNS infrastructure using BIND 8 or 9 ?

GNS doesn't use BIND.

    Thomas> I could not find that information on Nominum's web site.

Read the GNS White Paper at:
	http://www.nominum.com/resources/whitepapers/gns-whitepaper-v2.html

This states fairly clearly what software GNS uses, as well as
explaining the architecture. I quote from it:

	The GNS name servers run proprietary DNS server software
	written by the experts at Nominum. These servers have been
	optimized for specific functions within the GNS system, and
	have significantly better performance traits than general
	purpose DNS software.

And here's an extract from the GNS FAQ which is at
	https://gns.nominum.com/doc/english/faq.html

	4. I'm concerned about security. I heard something about BIND being
	vulnerable. What kind of security do you offer?

	Our service is based on proprietary DNS server software
	written by Nominum and not susceptible to vulnerabilities
	known to exist in BIND. Nominum's name servers are in full
	conformance with RFCs 1035 and 2181, and are fully capable of
	supporting dynamic updates to primaries as defined in RFC
	2136 and Transaction Signatures as defined in RFC 2845.

Both those documents are readily accessible from the GNS home page
(select "Products & Services", then "GNS") so you shouldn't have had
any difficulty finding them.