Which version of BIND can be installed on Win98 ?

Ralph SOBEK sobek at irit.fr
Wed Mar 20 12:36:09 UTC 2002

Hello People,

	I am new to this list, but I have looked at the archives and
see that as of BIND 9.2.0rc5 Win9x nor WinMe are not any more
supported!  Programmed obsolescence!  What about the earlier versions
of Bind ?

	I have recovered ntbind.9.2.0 for my Win98 machine at home.
Unfortunately, that version seems to be dependant on WinNT also!  File
installation from the BIND Install program goes well, but when it
comes to updating the Registry, it complains about not finding certain
manager programs, such as Command Manager, etc.  Is there a way around
this?  If not, what is the latest version of BIND that will run under
Win98?

	Is Bind 4.9.8 *really* the latest one that will work on Win98 SE?
Also, if so, why is it not available on the Bind4 web page at ISC.ORG?

	Thanks in advance to all,

Dr. Ralph P. Sobek		  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
Ralph.Sobek @ irit.fr					  http://www.sobek.org/
sobek @ irit.fr                   Wi-Fi:  http://www.irit.fr/~Ralph.Sobek/wifi
Ph:(+33)[0]561556356   FAX:(+33)[0]561556847   http://www.irit.fr/~Ralph.Sobek/