DNS to resolve private networks and act as a forwarder to other corporate NW and internet names.

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Mar 21 18:33:56 UTC 2002

In article <a7d1kc$461 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Sreeni P <pamidala at hotmail.com> wrote:

>I'd like to expand the present name server to expand for resolving
>private IP addresses (RFC 1918) along with present forwarder setup.
>Presently with in corporate sub domain (local) are resolved locallly
>and forwards to corporate name server to resolve other corporate sub
>domain and internet names.
>
>My questions are a) Can the RFC 1918 IP addresses be resolved locally,
>without sending a query to the forwarding server?

Yes.  If a server is authoritative for a zone, it never forwards queries
within that zone.  So make your server authoritative for the private IP
reverse domains.

>b) Does it need to be separate sub domain for RFC 1918 adresses?

You need separate domains for each address block, whether it's RFC 1918 or
normal.

>c) For some of RFC1918 networks, NAT is used to access corporate
>network and Internet. How do they resolve the names?

They'll see the addresses translated to a public address, and they'll do a
reverse lookup of that.  They'll never see the RFC 1918 addresses.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA