Using a low TTL to enable a fail-over cluster?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 22 17:47:27 UTC 2002

Sam Pointer wrote:

> I am also considering something very very similar - I would be very
> interested in sharing any information you have. What I am trying to achieve
> is a swap between 2 different leased lines from two different providers if
> connectivity is lost on one line (both lines to be used under normal loads).
> We plan to reload the nameserver with records containing IP addresses
> routable only down the "good" line if something does go wrong.

Totally different and much easier problem.

I believe BGP will solve this, just ask your ISPs supplying the
leased line for a quotation and specifications. Make sure they
both have experience doing this kind of thing.

Radware (Warning self plug - and thus potentially Eighth Layer
as a reseller of their UK distributor - go on tell me you want
to do this in the South West of the UK ;) sell a product called
LinkProof that does this in an easier fashion. Although until
I've seen technical specs on the solution I couldn't personally
recommend it might be worth investigating as their other
products have been good.