Running DNS on Linux with BIND 9.x ->where to start?

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Sat Mar 23 09:03:12 UTC 2002

Brian Guild <Brian_member at newsguy.com> wrote:
> DNS Experts,

> I'm setting up my own DNS server for the first time using RedHat 7.2 and BIND
> 9.x.  I'm at the point where we have the service installed and confirmed
> running.  But, I am unsure where to go from here.  I understand that you need to
> set up named.conf to reference your zone file, example.com.  But, what exactly
> do I have to put into named.conf...and I am a bit confused with some of the
> sample statements in my sample zone file.  When I have this set up correct, I
> should be able to interact with it using NSLookup from WinNT, but I have tried a
> couple of times without success.

> What I really need it someone to exchange email with who may have done this b4
> and knows it like the back of their hand...just to ask some simple questions
> over email of this individual.

What you need, as you said it was "time sensitive", is knowledge.

Get yourself a knowledgebal consultant that set's this up. Then
get "managing dns and bind" book, schedule youself on a class about dns.

Trying to "get your dns & mail" up and running via a Usernet Interface
will be time consuming and error-prone, and if your task is importent
this is "The Wrong Way".

> That would be extremely helpful.  I am setting up this DNS server for name
> resolution to our corporate domains, and the project is time sensitive.

A lot of corporations has a lot of problems. Some of these problems
are totally self-induced, but never the less affects shareholders and
employees.

Hiring and keeping hired competent staff is one such thing that seems
difficult.

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)