Zone File Updates

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Sat Mar 23 17:20:18 UTC 2002

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 01:44:37PM +0000, Simon Waters wrote:

> Barry Margolin wrote:
> >
> > You could write a simple script that checks whether
> > any zone files have changed since the last time the script was run, and
> > reloads named if so:
>
> I wrote one of these once, but don't recent versions of BIND 9
> do this these days?
>
> In that a "rndc reload" checks modification times, so your
> script would now just duplicate the work than named does on a
> simple reload I think.
>
> So my answer would be run 9.2.0, and not needlessly multiply
> admin scripts, but I'm open to correction.

BIND 8 does this too, but I think Barry was thinking of not reloading
BIND at all if no zone files have been updated. If you have thousands of
zone files, making BIND stat() them all is a waste, since it affects the
performance of your name service. Having a script to it makes more
sense.

Of course, most people only have a handful to a few hundred zone files,
and simply issuing '[r]ndc reload' is fine for them.
--
Nate

"We're thinking about upgrading from SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 3.5."
 -Henry Spencer