Installing BIND 9.2.0

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Sat Mar 23 23:09:47 UTC 2002

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 09:15:14AM +0000, phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote:

> Bind-9 install scripts will install bind-9 under /usr/local/{bin | sbin} and
> leave the old binaries unaffected.
>
> This has the sideeffect that any usage of "dig" "nslookup" or even a
> manual start using "named" will launch the wrong binary.

I have a saying: in system administration, 70% of all problems boil down
to permissions, DNS, or management of $PATH. ;)

> Replacing the binaries by placing bind 9 on the same locations /usr/{bin | sbin}
> will cure this. It will however create a vulnerability where an update of
> the host could actually overwrite your bind-9 with the "current" bind
> supplied with the distribution ( freebsd has a "WITHOUT_BIND" directive,
> however i never seem to find it documented)

Add NO_BIND to /etc/make.conf

man make.conf is definitely your friend.

> You cannot both eat the cake and keep it for future :-)

Sure you can. You just have to manage your systems, instead of letting
them manage you.

-Pete
--
"religious fanatics are not part of my desired user base."
- djb at cr.yp.to