Removing bundled in.named in Solaris 8

Will Yardley william-nospam-newdream-net at no.spam.veggiechinese.net
Sat Mar 23 23:14:51 UTC 2002

In article <a7j1pa$gr at pub3.rc.vix.com>, James W.Smith wrote:

> Does anyone know how to identify and remove the bundled version of Bind
> (in.named)from Solaris 8?  I have already done a pkginfo to try to find
> it but couldn't. And btw, where should the bind-9.2.0.tar go before you
> run ./configure? It didn't install anything anywhere except in the
> bind-9.2.0 subdirectories.

it's in this package:
bacall% pkginfo  | grep SUNWcsu
system      SUNWcsu        Core Solaris, (Usr)

bacall% pkgchk -l -p /usr/sbin/in.named
Pathname: /usr/sbin/in.named
Type: regular file
Expected mode: 0555
Expected owner: root
Expected group: bin
Expected file size (bytes): 369100
Expected sum(1) of contents: 41787
Expected last modification: May 16 06:02:04 2001
Referenced by the following packages:
        SUNWcsu
Current status: installed

to remove, perhaps:
rm /usr/sbin/in.named ???

i wouldn't suggest removing the Core Solaris package :>

your best bet is probably to compile bind9 with sysconfdir set to
/usr/local/etc/ (so that /etc/named.conf doesn't exist, and in.named
isn't started from /etc/init.d/inetsvc) and then add your own init
script to start bind.

this way, if you apply patches to the system, you won't accidentally
mess things up.

--
No copies, please.
To reply privately, simply reply; don't remove anything.