rndc reload

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Mar 24 23:41:55 UTC 2002

At 02:04 PM 3/24/02, Pete Ehlke wrote:

>On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 10:54:23AM -0800, Jeff Grossman wrote:
> >
> > I am running Bind 9.1.0 under Redhat 7.1.  When I use "rndc reload" I
> > get the following output:
> >
> > [root at apple named]# rndc reload
> > rndc: connect: connection refused
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
>Of course. My first idea would be: search google for the phrase
>"rndc: connect: connection refused". Had you done that, you would have
>found the very first link to be
>
>http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/ref-guide/s1-bind-rndc.html
>
>Which pretty clearly explains what your problem is and how to fix it.

Actually it means that nothing is listening on that port.  That page
doesn't tell you that, it just tells you how to set up rndc. The most frequent
reason for the above problem is that named is not running. The second
most frequent reason is that named isn't configured to listen to the
command channel that rndc uses. What does ps |grep "named" tell you?

Also you should upgrade to a more recent version of BIND 9.1.3 at least
but 9.2.0 would be much better.

         Danny