"no data known" vrs "host not found"

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Mar 25 17:48:53 UTC 2002

Barry Margolin <barmar at genuity.net> replied:

>Something very weird is going on with the army.mil entries that result in
>"no data known" messages.  They have MX records, but if you perform an ANY
>query (as sendmail does), the MX record appears in the Authority section
>instead of the Answer section.  And its TTL decreases on each query,
>implying that the MX record is in the cache, not the authoritative data for
>the zone.  You should probably let the Army hostmaster know that there's a
>problem with their server.

I have seen this problem with the Army's DNS for a long time (Dec 2000).
I even posted the problem here May 30, 2001.  I have not gotten a
reply from army.mil since my initial queries in 2000, and obviously
the problem has not been corrected.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov