"no data known" vrs "host not found"

admjcd admjcd at VOLPE.DOT.GOV
Mon Mar 25 21:54:31 UTC 2002

Yes, but it fails when I do an nslookup on my DNS server when it fails with the mail.  So if we are getting the NDR I do an nslookup with the type set to MX and get the "no data found" "authoritative answer" response.  But when I do the same lookup at other dns servers on the internet and the dns servers for the domain in question I get a correct answer back while mine is failing.

-----Original Message-----
From: Barry Margolin [mailto:barmar at genuity.net]
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 3:51 PM
To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
Subject: Re: "no data known" vrs "host not found"

In article <a7ntcg$k90 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, admjcd  <admjcd at VOLPE.DOT.GOV> wrote:
>The problem does not exist for all of our sites. Only for two of our
>DNS server at one site.  And every other DNS server I queried is fine
>when ours is having the problem. I want these Dns servers to work like
>most of the others on the net? It also just does not happen to
>army.mil.  Even if their setup is "weird" it still works for most
>others and I don't have time to call these other domains and ask them
>to fix their DNS servers. Our users forward mail to third party domains
>to get it delivered when the problem occurs. We can also always send to
>these domains through hotmail and yahoo 100% of the time. I can not believe that there is not a
>way to fix our DNS servers without calling the other side??

I don't think it's a DNS server problem.  I suspect it's due to differences in the mail software in use at your site versus hotmail/yahoo.  Since the misbehavior only appears when performing ANY queries, I suspect your mail server is using this type of query, whereas hotmail's server uses MX queries.

I don't know if or how you can configure your mail server to use MX queries instead of ANY queries.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA
*** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups. Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.