Multiple PTR reverse lookup problem (BIND9 resolver broken?)

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Mar 25 23:59:13 UTC 2002

Ignore my previous message on this subject.  I just looked at one of these
reverse entries, and it's not what I assumed from the poster's original
message.  It is:

70.15.26.206.in-addr.arpa. PTR  thick.haze.net.
70.15.26.206.in-addr.arpa. PTR  206.26.15.70.gha.mi.chartermi.net.

Each reverse entry has a custom hostname and a unique default hostname, not
a default common to all of them.

Since the default hostname correctly resolves back to the original address,
this looks valid to me.

My guess is that they automate the creation of the default entries, and the
custom name is an addition that the customer can request.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA