How does BIND communicate with the root servers?

Brian Guild Brian at body1.com
Thu Mar 28 18:04:01 UTC 2002

Guys,

We are setting up our own internal DNS for an upcoming project.  We are
using BIND.  I was wondering if one of your DNS gurus could answer one
question for me....

How does a given DNS server communicate its information to the root servers
at-large?  Does it do this automatically based on the TTLs and expiry dates
I set within my zone files, or is there something else I have to configure
within named.conf to allow for updates to be passed to the root servers...

Also, if someone could clarify the process for changing DNS for my
particular website, I would much appreciate it.  The way I understand it now
is as follows:

1) Make the change at the Registry level (specify first, second, third DNS,
etc.)
2) Make sure the DNS server you specified at the Registry level has properly
configured zone files and make sure that DNS server is also propogating its
changes to the root servers.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian Guild
Network Manager
Body1, Inc.
Business: 617-576-9400
Fax: 617-576-9430
Body1, Inc.  "Where HealthCare and Technology Meet"
Preview "eForums" Online Meeting tools at: http://www.Body1.com/demo.cfm
<http://www.Body1.com/demo.cfm>
Receive a free bimonthly health "e" letter:
http://www.body1.com/inside/index.cfm?action=2
<http://www.body1.com/inside/index.cfm?action=2>
http://www.Body1.com <http://www.Body1.com>
http://www.Wounds1.com <http://www.Wounds1.com>