BIND 9 not caching

Nat Durbin ndurbin at walmart.com
Thu Mar 28 18:28:30 UTC 2002

This one is a little weird, but I have a 9.2.0 server
running on Debian 2.4.18, and it's not holding any
cache. (it is not a caching only server, but is
authoritative for a couple zones).

It takes a couple seconds to resolve a name, and if I
try and resolve that name again immediately afterwards
it still takes the same about of time. Also nslookup
does not show that the name is "Non-Authoritative"
after resolving it a first time.

If I do a 'rndc dumpdb' the file named_dump.db
contains only:
;
; Cache dump of view '_default'
;
$DATE 20020328012709

All files in /etc/bind and /var/cache/bind are owned
by root with write permissions.

I haven't seen anything like this, and haven't been
able to find much with google.

Any Thoughts greatly appreciated!

-Nat

Here is the relevant section of the named.conf file:
-------------------------------
include "/etc/bind/rndc.key";

options {
        directory "/var/cache/bind";
        pid-file "/var/run/named.pid";
        statistics-file "/etc/bind/named.stats";
        allow-recursion { "recurse"; };
        auth-nxdomain no;    # conform to RFC1035

        query-source address * port 53;
};

controls {
        inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys {
"rndckey"; };
};

// reduce verbose logging
logging {
        category lame-servers { null; };
};

// prime the server with knowledge of the root servers
zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "/etc/bind/db.root";
};