Wildcards for MX and CNAME in same zone - allowed?

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Thu Mar 28 18:55:15 UTC 2002

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 04:36:04PM +0000, bert hubert wrote:
> In article <a7vf3q$31i at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Van Bemmel, Berend wrote:
> > For a zone hosted through an ISP I was requesting to put in two wildcard
> > records, one for the MX and one for  a CNAME, e.g.
> >
> > *	MX 10		mailhost.example.com.
> > *	CNAME		www.example.com
> >
> > Now my ISP tells me they can not do this because a zone file can only
> > contain one wildcard entry. I fail to see why since MX and CNAME are
> > different request types.
>
> No one ever requests CNAME records. Some time ago we counted and hours go by
> that you do not see them. A nameserver sees a query coming in and needs to
> check out of its own accord if there is an applicable CNAME record.

No. My public nameservers see about 5 CNAME queries per second. What is
making those queries I don't know, but your statement is not true.
--
Nate

The Strong Lusethropic Principle states: "The more idiot proof the
software, the more it encourages the user to be careless and not
think. Therefore, idiot-proof software actually encourages,
contributes, and actually CAUSES lusers to be stupid."
.
The Weak Lusethropic Principle states: "As more idiot-proof software
becomes available, more idiots are able to use computers. Idiot-proof
software did not make or cause computer lusers; it simple allowed
lusers to use computers where they could not before."