rndc fails when machine swaps

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Mar 28 22:13:31 UTC 2002

> i've been noticing recently that when our nameserver is swapping (it
> doesn't have that much ram in it), rndc will become unresponsive, and
> bind will no longer respond to a SIGTERM.

	It is responding, just slowly.

> decreasing the cache-size in named.conf is a workaround; however i
> noticed this problem again yesterday when another application started
> taking up a lot of memory / CPU, so i'm wondering if this is a bug.

	No.  It's not a bug.  It is a undersized machine for the load
	being put on it.  Virtual memory works well for some classes of
	problems.  If fails miserably with other classes of problem.
	Named just happens to sit in the second class.  That is why
	it has controls on the cache size.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org