Wildcards for MX and CNAME in same zone - allowed?

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Fri Mar 29 01:46:12 UTC 2002

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 10:49:09PM +0000, bert hubert wrote:
> In article <a7vp7p$4hf at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Nate Campi wrote:
>
> >> No one ever requests CNAME records. Some time ago we counted and hours go by
> >> that you do not see them. A nameserver sees a query coming in and needs to
> >> check out of its own accord if there is an applicable CNAME record.
> >
> > No. My public nameservers see about 5 CNAME queries per second. What is
> > making those queries I don't know, but your statement is not true.
>
> Very interesting. As far as I can tell, no application should ever have an
> active interest in CNAMEs per se.

I'm guessing there's either an uncommon mail server that does this or an
uncommon sendmail setting that allows CNAME lookups explicitly. My DNS
servers serve some domains that are popular free webmail sites, that's
why I suspect rogue SMTP setups.

Now we're drifting away from talking about BIND, of course.
--
Nate

If all the salmon caught in Canada in one year were laid end to end
across the Sahara Desert, the smell would be absolutely awful.