resolver values

Georgeson, Evan [NCSUS Non J&J] EGeorges at NCSUS.JNJ.COM
Wed May 1 01:31:29 UTC 2002

Thanks Kevin, I just was reading on old 2nd ed Evi Nemeth book and it
mentioned you could have up to 3. As for the search directive my further
reading reveals a maximum of 6 domains can be listed...I sort of answered my
own question but here's a last one. How deep can each search domain descend,
e.g., 111.222.333 111.222.333.444, does BIND care? And, can these values be
altered at compile time? Here's what resolv.h has to say. Btw, I'm new to
DNS and I didn't compile this BIND on our machine, these values seem to me
that they can be adjusted prior to compiling...Thanks again for your input

#define MAXNS                   3       /* max # name servers we'll track */
#define MAXDFLSRCH              3       /* # default domain levels to try */
#define MAXDNSRCH               6       /* max # domains in search path */
#define LOCALDOMAINPARTS        2       /* min levels in name that is
"local" */

#define RES_TIMEOUT             5       /* min. seconds between retries */
#define MAXRESOLVSORT           10      /* number of net to sort on */
#define RES_MAXNDOTS            15      /* should reflect bit field size */
#define RES_MAXRETRANS          30      /* only for resolv.conf/RES_OPTIONS
*/
#define RES_MAXRETRY            5       /* only for resolv.conf/RES_OPTIONS
*/
#define RES_DFLRETRY            2       /* Default #/tries. */
#define RES_MAXTIME             65535   /* Infinity, in milliseconds. */