BIND8->BIND9 Problems

Nardis, Frank nardis at TrendCS.com
Wed May 1 17:09:24 UTC 2002

ns4 - Redhat 7.2/bind-9.1.0-10 "internal" DNS server in asia (master for
*.apac.net - slave to *.amer.net zones).

ns1 - Solaris 5.7/BIND 8.2 "internal" DNS server in america (master for
*.amer.net - you get the picture)

Change amer.net zone file on ns1 - reload.  Changes on ns1 and ns3 (slave in
Europe - same OS/BIND version) happen faster than you can type.

Change never propagates to ns4.  Stopping named, removing sec.amer.net file,
restarting named will cause it to reload - no problem.

tcpdumps show some udp traffic but no tcp traffic on port 53 as it should.

Messages file on ns4 does not indicate a named problem - however when I
restart named on ns4 I get "named[8133]: amer.net.ixfr: No such file or
directory" in the messages file on ns1.

Everything I have read about ixfr indicates that ns4 should fall back and
use AXFR to do a complete xfer which apparently is what happens when I
remove the file.

I have tried "provide-ixfr no" on the master and "request-ixfr no" on the
slave - no help.

Any help greatly appreciated - more details available upon request.

Thanks,

Frank