Dig, nslookup fail when referencing other server

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed May 1 20:50:57 UTC 2002

VinceV wrote:

> "Mark Damrose" <mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us> wrote in message news:<aaopl8$bnhj$1 at isrv4.isc.org>...
>
> > It works from here.
>
> I only have the problem on my 1 (and only) RH 7.2 server, the RH 6.1
> and windows boxes work fine.
>
> > > Ping to ns1.rdrop.com is succesful
> > > traceroute ns1.rdrop.com fails (no route, default is UDP)
> > > traceroute -I ns1.rdrop.com is successful (-I force ICMP)
> >
> > Since the traceroute with UDP fails, I would triple check your firewall
> > rules.
>
> The firewall has been disabled.  It doesn't load any of the modules at
> boot.
>
> I attmepted a whois lookup from the RH 7.2 server and had the same
> timeout issue.  Is there an option to force dig to use ICMP?

Whois and DNS run on completely different ports, and it wouldn't be appropriate to try to use
ICMP for either of them, since ICMP is just a control protocol, not a data protocol.

All indications point to a connectivity issue of some sort. You need to double-, triple-,
quadruple-check your firewall configuration and/or routing configuration. Another outside
possibility is that you have a congested link that is dropping packets.