configuration question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu May 2 19:04:16 UTC 2002

James Lee wrote:

> I am about to set up my own dns (bind 9 on solaris 8) server at work.
> All of my machines are on st.mycompany.com domain.  And of course,
> there is a dns/dhcp server that governs st.mycompany.com.
>
> The server that I am about to set up - its name is
> westwood.st.mycompany.com.  I want my own machines to be
> machine1.westwood.st.mycompany.com, machine2.westwood.st.mycompany.com
> and etc.  Besides the "normal" configuration, is there anything
> special that I have to do (on either server) so that name resolution
> between st.mycompany.com and westwood.st.mycompany.com is as seamless
> as possible?

This is hard to answer, since we don't know exactly what you consider
"'normal' configuration".

I mean, the basics are (not necessarily in order): get the parent domain
to delegate the zone, set up the zone as master on your server, populate
the zonefile with entries, arrange for slaves if you care about
redundancy (your parent domain's servers can slave your zone and/or
_vice_versa_, if you want).

Are you looking for more information than that?