I am sooo confused...

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri May 3 18:54:31 UTC 2002

In article <aauk0b$1hal$1 at isrv4.isc.org>, James Lee <csejl at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Len Conrad <LConrad at Go2France.com> wrote in message
>news:<aas88s$ag9$1 at isrv4.isc.org>...
>> >********* db.westwood.st.mycompany.com *********
>> >$TTL    3h
>> >westwood.st.mycompany.com. IN SOA       westwood.st.mycompany.com. (
>> >         2002050210      ; Serial
>> >         3h              ; Refresh
>> >         1h              ; Retry
>> >         2w              ; Expire
>> >         1h )            ; Negative caching
>> >
>> >; Name Servers
>> >westwood.st.mycompany.com. IN NS        westwood.st.mycompany.com.
>>
>> you need 2 NS's here.
>
>Can you tell me why I need two NS's here?

So that DNS lookups will continue to work when this nameserver is down.

>					    Does this mean I need to
>run two DNS servers?  Can I parent DNS server act as slave here?  It

Any DNS server can act as a slave.  The parent domain's DNS server is often
a good choice.

>seems like it's working fine with one NS here as far as I can tell.

It's working fine because the server is up.  Shut down the server and then
see how well it works.

>But I haven't delegated westwood.st.mycompany.com to my DNS server
>yet.  Does this make any difference?

If you haven't delegated the domain, then your server will never be queried
(except by clients that are pointing directly to it in their resolver
configurations), so it doesn't matter how many servers you have.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA