Internal and external zone with same name

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri May 3 22:22:14 UTC 2002

In article <aav1j8$1qpc$1 at isrv4.isc.org>,  <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote:

>> In article <aaueub$1j0r$1 at isrv4.isc.org>, E N  <wigno at libero.it> wrote:
>> >How i can tell to the internal dns server to forward the query for
>> >www.abc.com?.
>>
>> Put the following in the internal server's named.conf file:
>>
>> zone "www.abc.com" {
>>   type forward;
>>   forwarders { <address of external server>; };
>> };
>
>	This won't work.  The forwarders directive only takes effect
>	if the nameserver recurses and because www.abc.com is not
>	being delegated it won't recures.  You may be able to get away
>	with this if you delegate www.abc.com in the internal zone.

Shouldn't this zone statement cause www.abc.com to no longer be part of the
abc.com zone, so the fact that it's authoritative for the parent zone
shouldn't prevent forwarding of the subzone?

>> Although if it's just for this one DNS entry, it would probably be simpler
>> to just copy the A record into the zone on the internal DNS server.
>
>	I agree with this later suggestion as the best alternative.

Or he could simply delegate it to the external server:

www         IN NS ns-external
ns-external IN A <address of external server>

I realized this when you said that forwarders would only work if the
subdomain were delegated -- there's no need for *both*.

This delegation isn't *strictly* correct, since the external server doesn't
have an SOA for www.abc.com.  But in this case I don't think it should
cause a problem.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA