Using Bind-9.2.1 on a WinXP Pro notebook

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri May 3 23:40:08 UTC 2002

I haven't looked at this on XP, but with Windows 2000 you can't use the
"Wizard" to add the 127.0.0.1 address.  It refuses to let you add any
127.x.x.x address and in fact you can't get beyond 127.  You need to
use the registry editor and add it manually.  On Win2000 it's located
under the name of the NIC card somewhere like:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\<Adapter Name>\Tcpip\
Parameters

Where <Adapter Name> is the name of the adapter.  Use ipconfig/all
to tell you the name. Look for the Nameserver key. Add the address as
the first on the list. I believe it's a space separated list of IP addresses.
You need a network card of any kind for this to work. Note that the
nameserver list is PER adapter, so there really is an ordering of NIC's.
Note that on a DHCP setup, your nameserver settings are likely to be
overridden by the DHCP server while you are using your network cable.

At 04:20 PM 5/3/02, Alessandro Oliveira wrote:

>what I'm trying to say is that I have already done that. but it works only
>when the winxp detects a network cable.
>
>thanks anyway,
>
>Alessandro

The bind tools are meant to be used that way.

> > When I'm not connected, I can only use the bind tools like dig, host and
> > nslookup. I guess that this happens because these tools use another
>resolver
> > library and bypass the winxp ones.

The bind tools are linked to the bind resolver library and are independent
of whatever Microsoft and other third-part applications use.

> > How can I set up the winxp to use the bind resolver library or force it to
> > query the local nameserver ?

Use the Registry Editor to add it to the adapter's nameserver list. See above.
You CANNOT however force non-BIND applications to use the bind resolver
library since they are linked to Microsoft's own library.

Danny