question on cache-only server

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue May 7 14:07:02 UTC 2002

In article <ab7pre$6mrs$1 at isrv4.isc.org>,
Widjaja Jimmi  <jimmi.widjaja at siemens.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>I have enquiry about DNS cache-only server.
>is it possible to configure cache only server in our internal network
>without having any qualified/registered domain for our network ?

Yes.  A caching-only server doesn't do anything but forward queries out to
the Internet, so it doesn't care what your local domain is.

>I tried to configure this cache only server based on several manual/text
>book. But I couldn't make it work properly.
>for ex: I have machine of IPaddress 1.2.3.4 and configured as cache only
>server
>and i have machine 1.2.3.250 want to access internet using 1.2.3.4 as a DNS
>server. they're both on the same subnet.
>if I put 1.2.3.250 in resolv.conf of 1.2.3.250 machine, at the time I enter
>command "nslookup", it's showing:
>"can't find server name for address 1.2.3.4: non-existent host/domain"

This is a known bug in nslookup.  It insists on being able to do a
reverse-lookup of the server's address, even though nothing in the DNS
protocol requires this.

Use "dig" or "host" instead of nslookup.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA