Named CPU skyrockets for ActiveX objects in IE 5.5 browser

JB usenet at joshuabranch.com
Wed May 8 16:05:19 UTC 2002

I noticed that when I visit the WSJ Online (online.WSJ.com), and I say yes
to permitting ActiveX objects to run, named CPU goes up to and remains
around 60%!  If I refresh the page, but then say no to permitting ActiveX
objects to run on the page, then named CPU usages remains below 1%, usually
at 0%!  The results are 100% consistent with whether or not I permit the
ActiveX advertisements to run on the page.

I found this to be true for any ActiveX object at the WSJ website.  Saying
yes to an ActiveX object at AltaVista didn't do it.

After installing Bind 9 I added one zone to it.  Yet, I did not point any
DNS server entries for any registered domain to BIND's public IP, so the
Internet should not even know it exists unless they scan my ports.  Indeed,
I have done nothing but installed and run it.

Does anyone know why this might be happening?  I am running W2K.

JB