Win2K, BIND & Multi-master

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed May 8 23:47:06 UTC 2002

BIND does not support "multi-master replication", and I wouldn't want it to
-- then I'd have to deal with replication conflicts, replication-overhead
bloat (compared to IXFR) and unnecessarily-complex troubleshooting of
DDNS problems.

If you really need redundancy, use clustering technology. If you really
need administrative granularity, break up into subzones. Multi-master
replication is just Redmond's half-baked way of covering up the fact that
their DNS implementation isn't trustworthy to begin with (IMO, of course).

- Kevin