Reverse DNS lookup

Will Yardley usenet at no.spam.veggiechinese.net
Sun May 12 06:42:07 UTC 2002

In article <abjm8v$dek3$1 at isrv4.isc.org>, Jeff Grossman wrote:

>> How is that? Is that via contacting the provider? I contacted mine
>> and they said since they own the IP addresses they had the right to
>> decide the reverse DNS and would not change it or delegate it for me.
>> They said I needed to request my own IP addresses from ARIN and buy
>> them, then I would have the rights to the reverse DNS arpa files.

> I don't believe that is correct.  You don't own the IP's.  Your ISP
> does.  You are paying your ISP for the use of those IP's.  They have
> the right to decide what the reverse DNS will be for those.  If you
> want to your own IP's, you will need to go to ARIN and purchase them.

most ISPs *will* change the PTR record for you; you might want to bug
them about it some more, and if vanity is really that important to you,
find a new provider if they won't.

i've had fairly small networks (/28 and such) delegated to me using the
rfc2317 hack.  however i've mainly done that so that i have a reverse
zone to play with; if the records aren't going to change much it's
usually easier to have them add the records for you.

they are wrong if they are suggesting that you need to purchase your own
IP space for this to be viable; certainly with a /24 they could easily
SWIP it to you and delegate DNS to your nameservers (or slave their
nameservers to yours for the /24)

i don't think ARIN gives out networks smaller than /20, and unless you
have specific needs that require you to get your own IP space, they will
probably tell you to get an allocation from your provider.

anyway i'm digressing, since the OP has mentioned that they don't need a
large netblock.

in any event, you're both right here -- your ISP is under no obligation
to do this for you.... but many / most providers do provide this service

--
No copies, please.
To reply privately, simply reply; don't remove anything.