'findns error' message

graham.lake at trelleborg.com graham.lake at trelleborg.com
Mon May 13 16:51:17 UTC 2002

Hi,

I have delegated three domains on an internal DNS infrastructure to 3
sites: 2 of them resolve queries OK across domains, but the third gives an
error message in the NS log that I am querying:

sysquery: findns error (3) on dnsbre.bre.tau.trelleborg.com.

I get a similar message from the slave of the bre.tau.trelleborg.com, too:

sysquery: findns error (3) on dnsbre2.bre.tau.trelleborg.com.

The query I am sending is:

nslookup
>set type=soa
>bre.tau.trelleborg.com.

The delegation in the 'tau.trelleborg.com' zone appears to be correct -
this is confirmed by the fact that the server I am querying is trying to
ask the name servers of the bre.tau.trelleborg.com zone to resolve the
query!

Here is (the important parts of...) a DiG zone transfer from
dnsbre.bre.tau.trelleborg.com.

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> @10.57.128.8 bre.tau.trelleborg.com. axfr
; (1 server found)
$ORIGIN bre.tau.trelleborg.com.
@                 1D IN SOA   dnsbre <emailname>.trelleborg.com. (
                              2002051304  ; serial
                              3H          ; refresh
                              15M         ; retry
                              1W          ; expiry
                              1D )        ; minimum
                  1D IN NS    dnsbre
                  1D IN NS    dnsbre2
dnsbre2           1D IN A           10.57.128.10
dnsbre                  1D IN A           10.57.128.8

Has anybody got any ideas why I get the 'findns error' message with this
configuration?

Thanks,
Graham