W2K DDNS faux pax

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Mon May 13 23:11:12 UTC 2002

> Does anyone know of a (quick) way to use Linux to spoof a Windows DDNS
> host so that I can really mess up people trying to register to my DNS?
>
> Here's why. A goup of ISPs in India have apparently decided that they
> like a domain name that I own and have W2K machines set up with that
> as their domain name. I consequently get tons of attempts to update my
> DNS as well as ldap msdcs, blah blah more M$ crap than I even want to
> think about. I have attempted to contact the ISPs (there are 3
> actually) to get a stop put to this to no avail. I have blocked the
> entire IP blocks from querying me ( this works, but it seems like I am
> giving up the field to them and so I turn this off and on
> intermittently just to f*ck with them) and recently I set up wildcards
> for my unused hostnames so that they resolve to 127.0.0.1 and set the
> SOA MNAME to localhost because this is supposed to cause the client to
> desist further update attempts (don't kow if this actually works or
> not) This doesn't seem to cause any decrease in the number of update
> attempts and queries for various
> M$/kerberos/ldap/pc1/Default-First-Site-Name crapola.
>
> SO... what I would like to do is make it really painful for these
> bastards by setting up a seemingly real server that points them back
> to anyplace but reality. Something that would make their machines all
> but unusable until they decide that using my domain name is not such a
> good idea after all. Anyone know of such an animal, or thoughts on
> creating one? (No I won't tell you what the domain name is)

You can point the MNAME field to the domain name of a name server
that does nothing but accept any dynamic update (i.e., no one
queries it).  That'll shut up the clients.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes