Internal and External on One Server ( ?? SplitDNS ?? )

dbotham at edeltacom.com dbotham at edeltacom.com
Tue May 14 13:56:16 UTC 2002

Adam,

Use Views to set up a Split DNS.  The ARM outlines this procedure.

Thanks,

Dave...

|         |           "Adam Retter"    |
|         |           <adam at cosmic.org.|
|         |           uk>              |
|         |           bind-users-bounce|
|         |           @isc.org         |
|         |           05/14/2002 09:51 |
  |       To:       comp-protocols-dns-bind at uunet.uu.net                                                                         |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Internal and External on One Server ( ?? SplitDNS ?? )                                                       |

Hey Guys,

Im sure Bind can proberbly deal with this but I need some tips.

I have BIND 9.1.3 running on two FreeBSD 4.3 Servers one Primary and one
Secondary in a DMZ behind our Firewall. We are hosting about 200 zones or
so
as we are a Small WebHosting/Design company.

What I want is this - When a Public IP address of a User from the Internet
does a hostname dns lookup I want to return an IP address, say
212.104.137.2
BUT when a lookup is done from a specific IP address, say 192.168.0.254 (A
user on our Private LAN via. Gateway to our LAN) I want to return a
different IP address say 10.0.0.2.

Is this possible with BIND - i.e. Returning different results to queries
depending on the IP address or Network address of the Client.

Thanks

--
Adam Retter
Network and Systems Administrator