Internal and External on One Server ( ?? SplitDNS ?? )

dbotham at edeltacom.com dbotham at edeltacom.com
Tue May 14 14:31:16 UTC 2002

Uhhhh, No.

1.  Obtain a copy of the Bv9ARM.  Here:
http://www.nominum.com/resources/documentation/Bv9ARM.pdf

2.  RTFM, paying particular attention to the section(s) on Views.

3.  Use One name server to run 2 "Views" for each of the domains in
question.  One "view" for external users and one "view" for internal users.

4.  Grab cold beer from frig and relax...

Dave...

|         |           "Adam Retter"    |
|         |           <adam at cosmic.org.|
|         |           uk>              |
|         |           bind-users-bounce|
|         |           @isc.org         |
|         |           05/14/2002 10:18 |
  |       To:       comp-protocols-dns-bind at uunet.uu.net                                                                         |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: Internal and External on One Server ( ?? SplitDNS ?? )                                                   |

Okay,

So what I am thinking of doing is this:

I add an Extra Server to my internal network running Bind 9. I then setup
this extra server so that every 30 minutes cron runs a script which FTP's
the zone files and named.conf from our public NameServers, the script them
replaces the public IP addresses in the zone files with our Private IP
addresses and writes them to disk and reloads Bind.

Does this sound reasonable? Any ideas, comments appreciated?

Thanks

--
Adam Retter
Network and Systems Administrator
adam at cosmic.org.uk
www.cosmic.org.uk

.

---------------------------------------------------|

)

> Hey Guys,
>
> Im sure Bind can proberbly deal with this but I need some tips.
>
> I have BIND 9.1.3 running on two FreeBSD 4.3 Servers one Primary and one
> Secondary in a DMZ behind our Firewall. We are hosting about 200 zones or
> so
> as we are a Small WebHosting/Design company.
>
> What I want is this - When a Public IP address of a User from the
Internet