hostnames on internal DNS server for domain that does not have internal DNS??

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Tue May 14 23:02:43 UTC 2002

Helpdesk wrote:

> My question is this, can I put entries in our DNS files in the u.k so that
> when we attempt to access the U.S office machines by host name, it will
> return the IP address, meaning we can use host names as opposed to IP
> addresses.  For information they are on a different subnet and domain.

Since they don't use DNS I assume by "domain" you mean Windows
NT domain.

Neither subnet nor NT domain have anything to do with DNS name
resolution so of course you can assign any name to any IP you
like in your DNS.

If you want your DNS server to look up names via WINS, you'll
have to use Windows DNS, or one of the proprietary BIND
variants, but WINS is on the way out.

Whether it is wise to create a seperate domain for these
addresses, and add that domain to the search list of your
clients, or use a partial name i.e. ntdomain.example.com when
you are example.com, so server1 becomes server1.ntdomain -
depends on politics and future migration strategy.

Personally unless I was convinced the other end had a meaningful
name resolution strategy I'd just stick them in however they fit
your naming scheme, and wait for the US to realise you're the
ones with more clues.